Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Verdigris-dy

I bought my first batt at Yarndale last year - a vision of soft loveliness from Hilltop Cloud.that satisfied my urge for something verdigris




As a fairly new spinner, I didn't appreciate what a challenge the fibre content would pose:
 
40% Bluefaced Leicester (BFL)
40% Merino
10% Camel
10% SeaCell 
 
It was the camel that made me sweat the most as its staple length was so different.

I had to ask for advice on how to even spin from a batt and I started off by pulling off strips and spinning them longdraw.  I had more success going more worsted, but then there was the big revelation: a blending board.So much so, that I bought two, but that's another story.

Eventually, after spinning at home and two different guilds, I had my yarn:




As soon as I knew I had enough yardage, I knew exactly what pattern I was going to make: the wonderful Iron Maiden.  It was an interesting pattern to knit.  I had to fudge a couple of times, but once I got the hang of it, I was away. As many people noted on their projects on Ravelry, its important that the increases at the beginning of rows are kept loose  
 
As is always the case, I wasn't sure if I would have enough yardage and stuck with the number of repeats of the border shown in the pattern.  After I bound off there was probably enough yarn left to have squeezed another repeat, but I hate the thought of running short. 

Once off the needles and after a bath, the shawl was ready for blocking


Yes, that is a yardstick.

Once I realised what shape it wanted to be, the blocking went a lot better.

After a few days lounging around: TADA!!!!




I took it to knit night, not sure if I liked the style of shawl and had to prise it out of my friend's hands.  I had a similar reaction at spinning guild so my verdigris maiden grew on me.  Even more flatteringly, one of my guilds, the Guild of Long Draw Spinners, is having a stand at Fibre East and I was asked to let them use this piece on there. Fame at last!!!
Enhanced by Zemanta
blog comments powered by Disqus